SubjectRe: [Bug #11308] tbench regression on each kernel release from 2.6.22 -> 2.6.28

* Eric Dumazet <> wrote:

> Ingo Molnar a écrit :
>> * Christoph Lameter <> wrote:
>>> hmmm... Well we are almost there.
>>> 2.6.22:
>>> Throughput 2526.15 MB/sec 8 procs
>>> 2.6.28-rc5:
>>> Throughput 2486.2 MB/sec 8 procs
>>> 8p Dell 1950 and the number of processors specified on the tbench
>>> command line.
>> And with net-next we might even be able to get past that magic limit?
>> net-next is linus-latest plus the latest and greatest networking bits:
>> $ cat .git/config
>> [remote "net-next"]
>> url = git://
>> fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/net-next/*
>> ... so might be worth a test. Just to satisfy our curiosity and to
>> possibly close the entry :-)
> Well, bits in net-next are new stuff for 2.6.29, not really
> regression fixes, but yes, they should give nice tbench speedups.

yeah, i know - technically these are lots-of-kernel-releases effects
so not bona fide latest-cycle regressions anyway. But it doesnt matter
how we call them, we want improvement in these metrics.

> Now, I wish sockets and pipes not going through dcache, not tbench
> affair of course but real workloads...
> running 8 processes on a 8 way machine doing a
> for (;;)
> close(socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0));
> is slow as hell, we hit so many contended cache lines ...
> ticket spin locks are slower in this case (dcache_lock for example
> is taken twice when we allocate a socket(), once in d_alloc(),
> another one in d_instantiate())

hm, weird - since there's no real VFS namespace impact i fail to
realize the fundamental need that causes us to hit the dcache_lock.
(perhaps there's none and this is fixable)

The general concept of mapping sockets to fds is a fundamental and
powerful abstraction. There are APIs that also connect them to the VFS
namespace (such as unix domain sockets) - but those should be special
cases, not impacting normal TCP sockets.