SubjectRe: Problems with the block-layer timeouts
From
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 11:34:56 +0100
Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@oracle.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 12 2008, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
> > On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 20:19:36 +0100
> > Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@oracle.com> wrote:

> > Hmm, but for 99.9% of the cases, the timeout of the block layer
> > doesn't expire, the timeout rarely happens. The power-saving scheme
> > can be applied to only 0.1%, but at the cost of the round_jiffies
> > overhead per every request.
> >
> > If I understand correctly, round_jiffies() is designed for timers that
> > will expire, such as periodic checking. The power-saving scheme nicely
> > works for such usages.
>
> Your understanding is correct. The overhead of round_jiffies() is not
> large, though.
>
> I want to get rid of this in blk_delete_timer():
>
> if (list_empty(&q->timeout_list))
> del_timer(&q->timeout);
>
> though and simply let the timer run even if the list is empty, since for
> sync sequential IO we'll be fiddling a much with the timer as we did
> before unifying it. And then the timer will expire every x seconds
> always and it becomes more important with the grouping.

I see. It depends on workloads but the above 'periodic expiration'
scheme might be better than the current one, I guess. It doesn't gives
large impact though.

Thanks for the clarification.

  Last update: 2008-11-17 04:51    [W:0.405 / U:0.060 seconds]