    SubjectRe: In-kernel IR remote control support
    On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 6:58 AM, Pavel Machek <pavel@suse.cz> wrote:
    > On Thu 2008-11-13 00:09:00, Christoph Bartelmus wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> on 12 Nov 08 at 14:39, J.R. Mauro wrote:
    >> [...]
    >>
    >> > Great, it's nice to see there's cooperation.
    >>
    >> LOL. There's just a small omission from Jon's side...
    >> Yes, LIRC people know about this. And Jon has a no-go from me.
    >>
    >> Decoding IR protocols in-kernel is the wrong way IMHO and this will not be
    >> supported by LIRC as long as I maintain LIRC.
    >
    > Time to fork lirc...?
    >
    > Can you elaborate? I don't see why IR remotes deserve special
    > handling. I'd expect to just plug in the receiver and have it work as
    > /dev/input/*.
    >
    >> It's simply not possible to decode all existing IR protocols and LIRC just
    >> stores the timing data for these protocols as-is without trying to decode
    >> them. With the in-kernel decoding approach these remotes cannot be
    >> supported. I'm not willing to sacrifice the support for these even though
    >> they only consist of a very small fraction of remotes in use.
    >
    > So you make it suck for everyone just because few obscure IR
    > remotes. Perfect enemy of good, I'd say :-(.
    >
    > Can we merge the common ones into the kernel, while still keeping the
    > obscure ones in userspace using uinput or something?
    >
    > I don't see why Jon's work bothers you. He's trying to do the right
    > support for the common remotes. That seems like a net plus to me, and
    > you can still keep the obscure ones in userland.

    We manage to have both kernelspace and userspace USB drivers. I think
    that would be the right approach here, especially since whole classes
    of some remotes change model to model. Apple remotes are an example of
    this: you have to figure out what different signal each new model
    sends and it is really nice for the user to be able to do this and put
    it in a config file and not have to wait for the next kernel version.

    Finding the middle ground here is probably the sanest course.

    > --
    > (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek
    > (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html

      Last update: 2008-11-15 17:13    [W:0.029 / U:32.372 seconds]