SubjectRe: CONFIG_OPTIMIZE_INLINING fun
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Hugh Dickins wrote:

> What I was intending anyway, quite independently of the INLINING
> issue, was changing those and some others to VM_BUG_ONs, which are
> intended really for VM testers rather than for distros to turn on.
> (Though perhaps Nick has shifted his position on that.)

Some distros have a bad habit of turning these on for production releases.

> That is indeed the orthodoxy. I've never been so sold on it as most
> (there are cases when inlines give superior typechecking, but often
> the use of the macro will catch wrong types anyway). But I suspect
> it's irrelevant, that changing those functions to macros would not
> actually have any effect on the problem - that's what we've often
> been assured, anyway, that the compiler nowadays does inlines as
> efficiently as the preprocessor does macros. I do wonder though.

Maybe try to compare it with a old kernel that still has the page flags
macros? That way we would have a testcase useful for bringing to the
attention of the gcc people.

  Last update: 2008-11-14 20:49    [W:0.041 / U:0.760 seconds]