    SubjectRe: [rfc] x86: optimise page fault path a little
    On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 07:18:11PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Nick Piggin wrote:
    > >
    > > I don't exactly know what you mean by random micro-optimization. It is
    > > what it is. I like counting cachelines and branches and I thought you
    > > did as well.
    > You're missing the point.
    > If you spent a bit more time on it, it would be a cleanup too, and we
    > wouldn't need this discussion.

    > As it is, it's a wash. At which point I'd simply rather not touch the
    > code.
    > You can have your cake and eat it too, and I tried to explain how. And I
    > don't understand why you argue against it.

    Oh OK. I am going to add those changes that you suggested (in fact, I
    already have). I just thought for some reason you wanted it to make
    further cleanups or something.

    I wasn't arguing against that. Or against refactoring the code in as
    clean a way possible if there is any refactoring happening at all for
    any reason (eg. performance or functionality as the primary reason).
    I just wasn't going to repost the patch because as I said, my level of
    testing and the relative urgency of it wouldn't justify it.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-11-14 04:33    [W:0.019 / U:38.080 seconds]