SubjectRe: Slow file transfer speeds with CFQ IO scheduler in some cases
On Tue, Nov 11 2008, Jeff Moyer wrote:
> Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@oracle.com> writes:

> >> Heh, got it to trigger about 3 seconds after sending that email! I'll
> >> look more into it.
> >
> > OK, found the issue. A few bugs there... cfq_prio_tree_lookup() doesn't
> > even return a hit, since it just breaks and returns NULL always. That
> > can cause cfq_prio_tree_add() to screw up the rbtree. The code to
> > correct on ioprio change wasn't correct either, I changed that as well.
> > New patch below, Vitaly can you give it a spin?
>
> Thanks for doing that! Yeah, that was a stupid bug with the lookup
> routine. I don't know that I agree with you that the ioprio change code
> was wrong. I looked at all of the callers and that seemed the code path
> that was used for I/O priority *changes*. The initial creation was
> already okay, wasn't it?

You only did it in cfq_prio_boost(), you should go one down and do it
for all prio changes. cfq_init_prio_data() gets called to fix state up
lazily when it notices a prio change, either due to prio boost or
because someone ran ionice.

--
Jens Axboe

  Last update: 2008-11-11 19:13    [W:0.112 / U:0.656 seconds]