    SubjectRe: [Bug #11875] radeonfb lockup in .28-rc (bisected)
    On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 00:54 +0100, Andreas Schwab wrote:

    > > Can you describe your problem more precisely ?
    >
    > It crashes during suspend (after the console was switched away from X),
    > but I can only see a frame buffer with apparently random contents when
    > it happens. When suspend works then those random frame buffer contents
    > are only briefly visible before the screen is cleared.

    Does it actually switches away from X ?

    IE. You see the console before the crap on console or not ?

    I've seen what you describe happening when doing snooze -f (direct
    kernel ioctl) straight from within X. It seems to me that the problem
    was that for some reason it didn't switch the console, which would
    definitely make it crash. I need to double check what's up, it's
    possible that the kernel fails to switch it properly or fails to wait
    for X to ack the switch.

    In any case, I doesn't seem to be directly related to those radeonfb
    changes, though a clash with X like that is indeed more likely to
    actually happen if radeonfb relies more heavily on acceleration.

    I'll have a look later today at the console switch from X in the kernel
    see if it's been broken in a way or another.

    Note: I just did some tests using both echo "mem" >/sys/power/state and
    snooze -f and it worked fine. IE, the console switch away from X worked.
    So while I think I observed your problem once, I also cannot reproduce
    it now.

    I wonder if there's a race condition in the VT switch. It's possible
    that it could be yet another case of X whacking the chip after it has
    effectively relinguished control of the VT to the kernel, or it could be
    a kernel race.

    Cheers,
    Ben.

      Last update: 2008-11-11 02:53    [W:6.191 / U:0.020 seconds]