SubjectRe: Slow file transfer speeds with CFQ IO scheduler in some cases
On Mon, Nov 10 2008, Vitaly V. Bursov wrote:
> Jens Axboe wrote:

> >> Funny, I was going to ask the same question. ;) The reason Jens wants
> >> you to try this patch is that nfsd may be farming off the I/O requests
> >> to different threads which are then performing interleaved I/O. The
> >> above patch tries to detect this and allow cooperating processes to get
> >> disk time instead of waiting for the idle timeout.
> >
> > Precisely :-)
> >
> > The only reason I haven't merged it yet is because of worry of extra
> > cost, but I'll throw some SSD love at it and see how it turns out.
> >

> Sorry, but I get "oops" same moment nfs read transfer starts.
> I can get directory list via nfs, read files locally (not
> carefully tested, though)
>
> Dumps captured via netconsole, so these may not be completely accurate
> but hopefully will give a hint.

Interesting, strange how that hasn't triggered here. Or perhaps the
version that Jeff posted isn't the one I tried. Anyway, search for:

RB_CLEAR_NODE(&cfqq->rb_node);

and add a

RB_CLEAR_NODE(&cfqq->prio_node);

just below that. It's in cfq_find_alloc_queue(). I think that should fix
it.

--
Jens Axboe

  Last update: 2008-11-10 18:39    [W:0.233 / U:0.100 seconds]