    SubjectCan you use the USB HID interface within a driver?
    Hi all,

    I'm about to start writing a driver for a Gigabyte Odin PC power supply.
    This device has a USB connection which allows you to monitor
    temperature, voltages, current, etc.

    Before I start coding the USB side of things, I'd just like some advice
    as to the best way of communicating with the device.

    I would rather write the driver in kernel space (so that it "just works"
    and provides a hwmon interface without installing extra software),
    however the device already appears to the system as a USB HID device,
    and so gets claimed by the existing usbhid driver.

    Is there any way to interface with the HID driver from within another
    driver? Or will I have to claim the device first (or disconnect
    usbhid), and communicate with it myself?

    I've tried to find some example code from a driver that already does
    this (such as a USB keyboard driver) but I'm having some trouble finding
    one! The closest drivers I can find are all the ones in
    drivers/hid/usbhid, but they all seem to be "embedded" in hid-core.c.
    Does that mean I need to modify hid-core.c to call my driver?

    Or perhaps someone could point me in the direction of a USB HID driver
    that does things "properly" already?

    Many thanks,

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-11-01 13:01    [W:0.019 / U:56.428 seconds]