SubjectRe: serial port problem
> I connected zyxel modem to port and I see that it gets commsnds- it's
> data lamp blinks, but I get nothing.
> Situation is different on my colleague machine- since ubuntu 8.04 he can
> see in minicom or gtkterm how connected router boots,
> but then he can't send someting over several port to router.
> I created bug report in ubuntu's launchpad, but there is no solution.
> As I now see this problem exists with kernel from kernel.org could you
> tell me how can I find where problem is?

I had a similar problem trying to get a dial-up modem working a couple
of months ago. I could use minicom to connect to the modem and type AT
commands and read the responses, but whenever I dialled up I would see
"CONNECT 48000" and that would be it. I couldn't send or receive data
from the other end. After about a minute the ISP I was calling would
time out and disconnect me.

I have no idea what the problem was, I even went to the trouble of
buying extra serial ports on a PCI card thinking the hardware was
faulty, but nothing helped. In the end I downgraded to 2.6.17.8 (as
this version was running on another PC that worked fine with the modem)
and suddenly the whole thing worked perfectly.

So it looks like some bug was introduced into the serial driver at some
point, and if you're having problems it must still be in the current
kernel version. I would suggest trying 2.6.17.8 instead (as that worked
for me), and if it works for you too you might want to try upgrading
until you find which version stops working - then we will know when the
problem was first introduced.

Cheers,
Adam.

  Last update: 2008-11-01 12:57    [W:0.024 / U:0.204 seconds]