SubjectRe: RFC - size tool for kernel build system
On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 02:19:36PM -0700, Tim Bird wrote:
> I've been thinking about a tool that might be useful
> to track kernel size changes. I'm posting this
> Request For Comments to get feedback, and determine
> if this is something that would be worthwhile to
> pursue.
>
> What I envision is some new kernel build targets, specifically
> related to gathering size information and generating a size
> comparison report. Some small helper scripts would be written
> to gather the necessary information, and generate the report.
> Any comments?

The building blocks that would be useful are IMHO:
- a make target that generates a report for one kernel
(like the checkstack or export_report targets)
- a script that compares two such reports and outputs the
size differences

That's also easy to do, and if that's what's wanted I can send a patch
that does it.

Everything else is IMHO overdesigned.

The real problem is that dumping some scripts into the kernel sources
or publishing some data on a webpage doesn't make people use them.

Like if you run "make checkstack" on the kernel today you can see that
drivers allocate arrays > 1 kB on the stack despite checkstack being
available...

> -- Tim

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

  Last update: 2008-10-09 17:25    [W:0.101 / U:0.296 seconds]