SubjectRe: sysfs: tagged directories not merged completely yet
Quoting Greg KH (greg@kroah.com):
> On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 07:12:03PM -0500, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> > Quoting Greg KH (greg@kroah.com):

> > > Great, that sounds like a solution.
> > >
> > > So tell me again why we need these huge sysfs reworks? :)
> >
> > Because :

> No, wait. Why would you want to do such a thing in the first place?

So I can have db2, a few apaches, etc, each in different containers with
their network devices and their own ipfilter rules.

So I can take one of those apache containers and migrate it along with
its ip address to another machine.

So I can do the openvz/vserver thing and run a 'virtual machine' (or 50)
without the overhead of another full OS. Now like Eric said our goal
isn't to fool the distro installed in the container and not let it know
it's in a container. But the same tools should be able to administer
inside a container as outside a container. That was the reason for the
filtering of /proc to show the right pids inside a container, for
instance.

So given that, what I describe below should probably suffice. Though I
wonder whether things depending on uevents will get messed up in a
container. It should be fine, I assume, so long as the devicename (lo)
is sent along withthe filename (lo.childXYZ).

> > So at least we'd have to do something to allow creation of 'duplicate'
> > devices in different namespaces. It might be fine if we just ended up
> > with /sys/devices/virtual/net/lo, if created in a child net namespace,
> > be named /sys/devices/virtual/net/lo.childXYZ. Then userspace can
> > mount -t tmpfs none /sys/class/net and ln -s
> > /sys/devices/virtual/net/lo.childXYZ /sys/class/net/lo.
>
> ick.
>
> I agree with Tejun here, what's this whole network namespace stuff, what
> problems is it trying to solve and what are its goals?
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

  Last update: 2008-10-08 16:21    [W:0.074 / U:0.804 seconds]