    SubjectRe: [patch][rfc] ddds: "dynamic dynamic data structure" algorithm, for adaptive dcache hash table sizing (resend)
    On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 03:18:27AM -0400, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

    > > I'm cc'ing netdev because Dave did express some interest in using this for
    > > some networking hashes, and network guys in general are pretty cluey when it
    > > comes to hashes and such ;)
    > Without even looking at the code I'd say geeting the dcache lookup data
    > structure as a hash is the main problem here. Dcache lookup is
    > fundamentally a tree lookup, with some very nice domain splits
    > (superblocks or directories).

    Dcache lookup is partially a tree lookup, but also how do you look up
    entries in a given directory? That is not naturally a tree lookup. Could
    be a per directory tree, though, or a hash, or trie.

    Anyway, I don't volunteer to change that just yet ;)

    > Mapping these back to a global hash is
    > a rather bad idea, not just for scalability purposes.

    I don't disagree. But it can be improved by dynamically resizing
    until it is replaced. I guess it is also a demonstration of how to
    implement the algorithm.

    PID hash is probably another good one to convert.