    SubjectRe: Laptop shock detection and harddisk protection

    > > > That anonymous person may have problems if they signed NDA.
    > > >
    > > > I don't think they did, they even list the sources:
    > > >
    > > > * The embedded controller on ThinkPad laptops has a non-standard
    > > > interface, * where LPC channel 3 of the H8S EC chip is hooked up to IO
    > > > ports * 0x1600-0x161F and implements (a special case of) the H8S LPC
    > > > protocol. * The EC LPC interface provides various system management
    > > > services (currently * known: battery information and accelerometer
    > > > readouts). This driver * provides access and mutual exclusion for the EC
    > > > interface.
    > > > *
    > > > * The LPC protocol and terminology is documented here:
    > > > * "H8S/2104B Group Hardware Manual",
    > > > *
    > > > http://documentation.renesas.com/eng/products/mpumcu/rej09b0300_2140bhm.pdf
    > > >
    > > > H8S chip seems to be documented.
    > > Hmm, the EC is not directly used, but ACPI functions of the HP device are
    > > used.
    > > For the HP ACPI device: the ACPI functions can *very easily* be re-engineered
    > > (which is common for all laptop_acpi.ko drivers):
    > > ALRD -> is used by the driver to read out registers of the accelerometer
    > > ALWR -> is used by the driver to write a registers of the accelerometer
    > > BTW: HP likes to have support for their device.
    > >
    > > The acceleromter chip itself is docuemented in detail here:
    > > http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/12094/lis3lv02dl.pdf
    > >
    > > I also do not see any concerns.
    > > Greg: Can you please add this one or explain in more detail what else you like
    > > to see to get this integerated.
    >
    > If you, or anyone else, writes a new driver from the published
    > documents, that driver can be accepted. It can not be based on the
    > existing code written by Shem in any form.

    Can you detail what "published" means?

    Either I can take his sources on sourceforge.net (quite well known
    place, right) as published information, or I could not use other well
    known sources such as wikipedia.

    Sources on sourceforge.net seem published-enough to me, and if you
    insist they can't be used, you should provide some reasons...

    [And no, just calling it "tainted" is not enough.]
    Pavel

      Last update: 2008-10-07 22:41    [W:0.049 / U:0.164 seconds]