    SubjectRe: [RFC Patch 0/9] Hardware Breakpoint interfaces
    On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 04:36:54PM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
    > K.Prasad wrote:

    >>> KVM conceptually isn't a kernel use of the debug registers. KVM
    >>> modifies the debug registers while the guest is running, and restores
    >>> them after the guest returns.
    >>>
    >>> Right now, as an optimization, KVM defers restoring the debug
    >>> registers until after the next context switch out of the kvm task,
    >>> or until the next exit to userspace (whichever comes earlier); we
    >>> should change this to avoid the deferral if kernel breakpoints are
    >>> in effect. This will allow simultaneous use of KVM breakpoints and
    >>> kernel breakpoints.
    >>>

    >> The patch posted provides interface for using HW breakpoints on both
    >> user- and kernel-space breakpoints. KVM's user-space address breakpoint
    >> requirements, after code-modification, should be made to use
    >> register_user_hw_breakpoint() interface (presently un-exported but will
    >> be changed subsequently) to help maintain a system-wide consistent view on the
    >> availability of HW Breakpoint registers.
    >>

    > Correcting myself, actually kvm breakpoints are in a third namespace.
    > You could have kernel breakpoints, user breakpoints, and guest
    > breakpoints coexisting.
    >
    >> Presently I find plenty of set_debugreg() calls from kvm/ which will
    >> modify the registers directly and break the breakpoint register
    >> management brought-in through the patch.
    >>

    > If kvm restores the registers, should there be any problem?

    No, it should be fine although I don't understand how the exception
    handler is invoked in KVM without the use of notifier or a hook in
    die_debug (or have they replaced code at a layer much below that?).

    Apart from the doubt I've stated above, if they operate by replacing
    the breakpoint register contents before a context switch from KVM to
    other processes, they might in fact help maximise its utilisation.

    Thanks for the clarification!

    Thanks,
    K.Prasad

      Last update: 2008-10-07 18:49    [W:0.024 / U:31.548 seconds]