    SubjectRe: 2.6.28-rc1: NVRAM being corrupted on ppc64 preventing boot (bisected)
    Mel Gorman writes:

    > On some ppc64 machines, NVRAM is being corrupted very early in boot (before
    > console is initialised). The machine reboots and then fails to find yaboot
    > printing the error "PReP-BOOT: Unable to load PRep image". It's nowhere near
    > as serious as the ftrace+e1000 problem as the machine is not bricked but it's
    > fairly scary looking, the machine cannot boot and the fix is non-obvious. To
    > "fix" the machine;
    > 1. Go to OpenFirmware prompt
    > 2. type dev nvram
    > 3. type wipe-nvram
    > The machine will reboot, reconstruct the NVRAM using some magic and yaboot
    > work again allowing an older kernel to be used. I bisected the problem down
    > to this commit.

    Which ppc64 machines has this been seen on, and how were they being
    booted (netboot, yaboot, etc.)?

    Is it just the Powerstations with their SLOF-based firmware, or is it
    IBM pSeries machines as well?

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-10-30 21:55    [W:0.028 / U:0.076 seconds]