    SubjectRe: net: struct device - replace bus_id with dev_name(), dev_set_name()
    Date
    Hi Kay,

    > This patch is part of a larger patch series which will remove
    > the "char bus_id[20]" name string from struct device. The device
    > name is managed in the kobject anyway, and without any size
    > limitation, and just needlessly copied into "struct device".
    >
    > To set and read the device name dev_name(dev) and dev_set_name(dev)
    > must be used. If your code uses static kobjects, which it shouldn't
    > do, "const char *init_name" can be used to statically provide the
    > name the registered device should have. At registration time, the
    > init_name field is cleared, to enforce the use of dev_name(dev) to
    > access the device name at a later time.
    >
    > We need to get rid of all occurrences of bus_id in the entire tree
    > to be able to enable the new interface. Please apply this patch,
    > and possibly convert any remaining remaining occurrences of bus_id.
    >
    > We want to submit a patch to -next, which will remove bus_id from
    > "struct device", to find the remaining pieces to convert, and finally
    > switch over to the new api, which will remove the 20 bytes array
    > and does no longer have a size limitation.

    it would be nice if you modify your script to include a diffstat here :)

    > From: Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@vrfy.org>
    > Subject: net: struct device - replace bus_id with dev_name(),
    > dev_set_name()
    >
    > CC: David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
    > Acked-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
    > Signed-Off-By: Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@vrfy.org>

    the Bluetooth parts look fine to me.

    Acked-by: Marcel Holtmann <marcel@holtmann.org>

    Regards

    Marcel

      Last update: 2008-10-30 05:35    [W:0.026 / U:0.368 seconds]