    SubjectRe: 2.6.27: ehci bug with AMD 770nb/SB700 southbridge. usb lockup
    On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 02:15:18AM +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a A770Crossfire board from Asrock.
    > With kernel 2.6.26.X and 2.6.27.[1,2,3,4] I have the following problem that
    > makes usb mostly unusable.
    >
    > I have a 4 port hub attached. A logitech mouse receiver is inserted into one
    > of its ports - it does not matter which one. Everything works fine.
    >
    > I turn on an external enclosure, which is either attached to one of the
    > mainboards ports or the hub. Everything works for a couple of seconds. I mount
    > the cdrom/harddisk partition and start copying a file - or just wait a couple
    > of seconds.
    > USB completly locks up. First the mouse, then a bit later the file transfer
    > (so one was started) stops. Turning of the enclosure does not help, remving
    > the receiver and reinserting it, does not help, not using the hub does not
    > help.
    > Only thing that brings back USB:
    > rmmod ehci_hcd
    > modprobe ehci-hcd
    >
    > rmmod and modprobe usb-storage does NOT help.
    >
    > after that I get another couple of seconds until it locks up again.
    >
    > If I modprobe ohci-hcd I get this:
    > with 2.6.26 and the mouse at ohci, enclosure at ehci, everything works - but
    > gaming (with fglrx loaded) is impossible, since the mouse is extremly jerky
    > (shared interrupts).
    > with 2.6.27 both mouse and enclose are driven by ohci - and copying works
    > without locking up. Trying to 'force' ehci for the enclosure makes it lockup
    > again.
    >
    > This happens with kernel.org kernels+reiser4.

    This chipset was known to have bugs in it, which I think we fixed
    already. I have a laptop with this chipset and it can sustain large
    ammounts of USB data just fine with the 2.6.27 kernel series, so I
    wonder if something is wrong with your usb disk drive?

    I've added some AMD developers on the CC: who helped develop the last
    fix for this chipset. Libin, do you know of anything in the chipset
    that would cause these problems?

    thanks,

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2008-10-30 06:59    [W:0.022 / U:150.300 seconds]