SubjectRe: Unified tracing buffer
* Jason Baron (jbaron@redhat.com) wrote:

> > > hi,
> > >
> > > Tracepoints and markers seem to both have their place, with tracepoints
> > > being integral to kernel users, and markers being important for
> > > userspace. However, it seems to me like there is overlap in the
> > > code and an extra level of indirection when markers are layered on
> > > tracespoints. could they be merged a bit more?
> > >
> > > What if we extended DEFINE_TRACE() to also create a
> > > 'set_marker(marker_cb)' function where 'marker_cb' has the function signature:
> > >
> > > marker_cb(<tracepoint prototype>, *marker_probe_func);
> > >
> > > We then also create 'register_marker_##name' function in DEFINE_TRACE(),
> > > which allows one to regiser marker callbacks in the usual way.
> > >
> > > Then 'marker_cb' function is then called in '__DO_TRACE' if anybody has
> > > registered a marker (which can set the tracepoint.state appropriately).
> > >
> > > The 'marker_cb' function then marshalls its arguemnts and passes them
> > > through to the marker functions that were registered.
> > >
> > > I think in this way we can simplify the tracepoints and markers by
> > > combining them to a large extent.
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > >
> > > -Jason
> > >

> > I think what you propose here is already in y LTTng tree in a different
> > form. It's a patch to markers to allow declaring a marker which enables
> > an associated tracepoint when enabled. This way, we can have a marker
> > (exposed to userspace) connecting itself automatically to a tracepoint
> > when enabled.
> >
> > It's here :
> > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/compudj/linux-2.6-lttng.git;a=commitdiff;h=d52ea7c48f47a1179aee01636d515cfea4ff6ede;hp=0a7b5c02209f3582ed1369ec818a1b389bd45a09
> >
> > Note that locking depends on the psrwlock patch so we can have nested
> > module list readers. Otherwise locking becomes _really_ messy. :-(
> >
> > Mathieu
> >

> That patch simplifies using markers with tracepoints and couples
> markers and tracepoints much more closely. But I was proposing to make
> the coupling tighter...
>
> Couldn't 'marker_probe_register()' register the marker directly with
> the tracepoint callsite? Have DEFINE_TRACE() take an additional argument
> which references a marker callback funtion. That function would look
> like (very loose C code):
>
> marker_blah_callback(TPPROTO(arg1, arg2), marker_probe_func *probe,

I don't want the tracepoints to be coupled with markers (which are a
userspace API). The other way around is fine : letting a marker
automatically enable a tracepoint makes sense, but the opposite would
tie the in-kernel API (tracepoint) to the external marker
representation, and I would like to avoid that.

And how do you plan to deal with :

TPPROTO(arg1, arg2) == void ?

C won't let you define stuff like :

blah(void, marker_probe_func *probe, void *private_data)

The devil is in the details.... ;)

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers

  Last update: 2008-10-03 21:13    [W:0.151 / U:0.564 seconds]