    SubjectRe: sata errors with Seagate 1.5TB on AMD 780G/SB700 motherboard
    O> Anyway Seagate (inofficially) claims it's a driver issue in Linux - from
    > http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/message?board.id=ata_drives&thread.id=2390&view=by_date_ascending&page=6

    Well then perhaps they would care to share the information with us 8)

    The HPA size reporting one is certinly Linux, the flush cache one I don't
    think is. The fact Mac people report it and Seagate suggest workarounds
    of the form of "don't use 33% of the disk" don't inspire confidence.

    > "We already know about the Linux issue, it is indeed a kernel error
    > causing the problem as it was explained to me by one of our developers."

    Well if they'd care to explain it to linux-ide perhaps we can find a work
    around. I would be cautious about disabling the write caching as it will
    harm both performance and probably drive lifetime.

    Alan

      Last update: 2008-10-29 21:19    [W:0.019 / U:200.128 seconds]