    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL/RESEND] kernel message catalog patches

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008, Martin Schwidefsky wrote:
    > Ok, understood. Not that the reaction surprises me, seems like nobody
    > likes documentation (including me).

    It's that I don't like out-of-line documentation. It's a damn pain to
    maintain, and it's _especially_ so when it's for small details rather than
    "big picture" issues.

    I also consider this to be _exactly_ the same issue as translating kernel
    messages into another language (which people have also wanted to do),
    except the "other language" is a S390-specific "odd-speak" rather than a
    real language.

    I have to say that I also dislike the technical implementation. I don't
    like having yet another printk() wrapper - your "kmsg_warn()" won't play
    well with people who have messages they want to print, but that use helper
    routines - or then you'd need to essentially change _every_ printk to a

    So if you want to have a hash (so that you can identify the _format_
    string rather than the printed out message), I personally think you'd be
    better off thinking of it purely the same way as CONFIG_PRINTK_TIME, and
    just have a config option that disables or enables the hashing of the
    format string, the same way we have an option for disabling or enabling of
    the timestamping of the printk.

    I also suspect that it would be better to not _print_ it, but only put it
    into the dmesg logs (the same way we do with the urgency level marker).

    IOW, I think we could put a few lines of code in "vprintk" that just
    hashes ove 'fmt' and then adds that to the output.

    And as for the actual explanations: either they need to be totally outside
    the kernel (in a project of their own), or they'd need to be "kernel-doc"
    style things that are _in_ the source code. Not in Documentation/. Not
    separate from the printk() that they are associated with.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-10-27 16:15    [W:0.020 / U:0.584 seconds]