SubjectRe: usb hdd problems with 2.6.27.2
Douglas Gilbert wrote:

> Since the READ CAPACITY "off by one" error is so common,
> perhaps drivers such as usb-storage could have a hook to
> do a pseudo READ CAPACITY. Then if the capacity value
> looked odd (in both senses) the driver could do an IO to
> the suspect block and if that failed decrement the capacity
> value passed back to the mid level.
> Put another way, why don't these defective devices trip up
> another OS?

Window$ never reads the last sector unless it is actually written
to. I had such a device it got stuck when I wrote to the
last sector.

> BTW a single disk in RAID 0 (seen on a HP E200 controller)
> has a shortened capacity value seen in the midlevel on the
> corresponding logical drive. That missing chunk is probably
> where the RAID controller puts its control information.
> Anyway, playing with the capacity value returned by READ
> CAPACITY certainly has a precedent.
>
>> Later on the system tries to read the contents of what it thinks is the
>> last sector:
>
> I know that happens but it seems strange that upper levels
> are reading a block that has never been written to. Read ahead?

That would be udev or hald, I can't remember which. It is a special Linux
fixture. ;)

> Doug Gilbert

Boaz

  Last update: 2008-10-27 16:11    [W:0.112 / U:0.104 seconds]