    SubjectRe: MCEs
    > > This is the kind of MCE that freezes the box and causes a panic.  The
    > > trace does not end up in syslog. I found a program called mcelog which
    > > I am supposed to call regularly from cron, but how can that help me when
    > > the first MCE I get insta-panics the box?
    > When you do a warm boot (not power cycle, but reset button or
    > panic=30) then the panic mce will be logged after reboot.

    Maybe I'm doing something wrong here.
    I run mcelog from the shell after the boot.
    Nothing happens, I get the shell prompt right back.

    How do I know it's really a MCE? So far my symptoms are: the machine
    freezes, then a panic dump scrolls by, and the only text I can see on my
    screen are the stack dump lines, which contain something to the tune of
    machine_check() or so. Nothing shows up in syslog, probably the kernel
    decides the box is too hosed to log anything.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-10-24 23:47    [W:0.018 / U:0.596 seconds]