    SubjectRe: [smartmontools-support] SMART to USB/sata dock in 2.6.27-rc5 doesn't work
    Mark Lord wrote:
    > matthieu castet wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Tejun Heo wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The USB bridge should support SAT (SCSI-ATA translation) and many
    >>> don't. Nothing much can be done about it. The hardware just don't know
    >>> how to do it.
    >>>
    >> That true that the hardware should support SAT, but even if it support
    >> it, linux need some patches to support SAT over USB. See
    >> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.scsi/43688 and the patch mentioned
    >> in the thread.
    >
    > Ahh.. Great! This mostly fixes smartctl operation on at least two
    > of my USB drive enclosures here:
    >
    > 1. a recent rev. 2.5" NexStar-3 SATA enclosure.
    > 2. a 250GB 2.5" WD "Passport" external USB drive/enclosure.
    >
    > With the patch, this command line works for me:
    >
    > smartctl -a -dsat -T permissive /dev/sdb
    > And hdparm just works regardless, with or without the patch.

    It should work without permissive, permissive was need without the patch.

    You said hdparm works without the patch. I wonder how it work. IRRC it
    asks check condition stuff for every command. I am interested to see the
    hdparm --verbose output without the patch.

    BTW somebody is trying to push a patch similar to this one to
    usb-storage driver :
    https://lists.one-eyed-alien.net/pipermail/usb-storage/2008-October/004096.html

    Matthieu

      Last update: 2008-10-23 21:01    [W:3.740 / U:0.028 seconds]