SubjectRe: [patch 00/17] 2.6.27-stable review
On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 09:01:26PM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 11:33:34AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> >This is the start of the stable review cycle for the 2.6.27.3 release.
> >There are 17 patches in this series, all will be posted as a response
> >to this one. If anyone has any issues with these being applied, please
> >let us know. If anyone is a maintainer of the proper subsystem, and
> >wants to add a Signed-off-by: line to the patch, please respond with it.
> >
> >These patches are sent out with a number of different people on the
> >Cc: line. If you wish to be a reviewer, please email stable@kernel.org
> >to add your name to the list. If you want to be off the reviewer list,
> >also email us.

> >Anything received after that time might be too late.
>
> OK, I realize I'm late. Apologies in advance for that.
>
> I don't see how patches 3, 16, and 17 really fit into the "stable"
> rules. None of them:
>
> "... fix a problem that causes a build error (but not for things
> marked CONFIG_BROKEN), an oops, a hang, data corruption, a real
> security issue, or some "oh, that's not good" issue. In short,
> something critical."
>
> So, are we being a bit more lax on the requirements for the
> -stable kernels and I missed the memo, or?

3 definitely is "oh that's not good", and 16&17 are just support
for a few new IDs. It's not the first time this happens, and as
long as there are not too many or they don't change the driver's
code, I don't see the problem. It increases the ability for people
to test the kernel and report bugs too BTW.

I think it's better to have strict rules and be lax sometimes
than having no rules at all or being too strict and annoy users.

Willy

  Last update: 2008-10-23 07:13    [W:1.096 / U:0.008 seconds]