    SubjectRe: SLUB defrag pull request?
    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Christoph Lameter wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
    > >> Actually, when debugging is enabled, it's customary to poison the
    > >> object, for example (see free_debug_processing() in mm/slub.c). So we
    > >> really can't "easily ensure" that in the allocator unless we by-pass
    > >> all the current debugging code.
    > Plus the allocator may be reusing parts of the freed object for a freelist
    > etc even if the object is not poisoned.

    Actually, no: looking at the slub code it already makes sure that
    objects are neither poisoned, nor touched in any way _if_ there is a
    constructor for the object. And for good reason too, otherwise a
    reused object would contain rubbish after a second allocation.

    Come on guys, you should be the experts in this thing!

    So again, just checking d_lru should do work fine. There's absolutely
    no need to mess with extra references in a separate phase, which leads
    to lots of complications.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-10-23 00:13    [W:0.022 / U:0.132 seconds]