    SubjectRe: kgdb 2.6.28 merge plans
    Alan Cox wrote:
    >> tty: Fix sparse static warning for tty_driver_lookup_tty
    >> kgdboc, tty: Add the rx polling call back capability
    >> kgdboc, 8250: rx polling hook for the 8250 driver
    >> kgdboc, amba-pl011: rx polling hook for the amba-pl011 driver
    >
    > NAK.

    The kgdb merge request queue has had any serial and tty changes
    removed.

    The only changes that remain are to the kgdb core for the
    purpose of moving the blackfin off its existing kgdb stub over to the
    common kgdb core API.

    > In addition to which random hooks in random mixtures of uart drivers are
    > not a practical sensible way to manage general purpose interfaces to
    > debug tools.

    This is a discussion that needs to be hashed out. It is a question of
    where would you like it discussed (IE: new thread in lmkl,
    linux-serial@...)?

    It is a discussion more about general polled vs interrupt driven
    serial/tty APIs, not all of which are used for debuggers. I am open
    to help fix/change/extend/refactor the existing kernel's CONSOLE_POLL
    API or even deprecate it in favor of something else so long as it
    leads to an interface which can allow the sharing of the hardware
    among various contexts with early_printk, console, tty, debugger,
    etc...

    If it was all obvious and easy, it would have already been done. Rome
    was not built in a day after all. :-)

    Cheers,
    Jason.

      Last update: 2008-10-22 12:11    [W:0.023 / U:1.596 seconds]