[lkml]   [2008]   [Oct]   [2]   [last100]   RSS Feed

SubjectRe: Agere Hermes source-code: copyright situation
    On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 13:00 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
    > On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 06:37:18AM +0400, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
    > > TJ you can answer me using arvidjaar (at) newmail dot ru. Hopefully
    > > one of them works. Re WPA2 - there is no information how to setup
    > > CCMP/AES (even if firmware supports it); so no WPA2.
    > > On Thursday 02 October 2008, Dave wrote:
    > > > Greg KH wrote:
    > > > > On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 05:40:29PM +0100, TJ wrote:
    > > > >> On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 14:13 +0400, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
    > > > >>>On Wednesday 01 October 2008, Greg KH wrote:
    > > > >>>> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 09:49:34AM +0400, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
    > > > >>>>> I have here driver that can be built for two different types of
    > > > >>>>> hardware from basically the same sources (this is port of old Agere
    > > > >>>>> drivers for Hermes-I/Hermes-II chipsets).
    > > > >>>>
    > > > >>>> Cool, do you have a link to the code, I'd be glad to add it to
    > > > >>>> drivers/staging/ if it's not in a fully-mergable state yet to get wider
    > > > >>>> users for it.
    > > > >>>
    > > > >>> You can look at it here: http://arvidjaar.newmail.ru/wlags49.tar.bz
    > > > >>>
    > > > >>> I doubt that it is suitable for inclusion at current state if ever.
    > > > >>> This is taken directly from Agere 2.4 sources; the only parts that were
    > > > >>> touched are kernel glue and wireless extensions interface.
    > > > >>>
    > > > >>> And it is not GPL'ed, of course. I attach E-Mail I received a while
    > > > >>> back with answere from Agere legal department.
    > > > >>
    > > > >> I'm attaching the original email I sent to Agere and their response for
    > > > >> the record, hoping it helps clarify the legal position.
    > > > >
    > > > > Very nice, thanks for forwarding this on.
    > > > >
    > > > > As the license is BSD, that means we can place it in the kernel tree.
    > > > > Do you all mind if I add it to the drivers/staging/ directory so you can
    > > > > work on cleaning it up within the main kernel tree infrastructure?
    > > >
    > > I do not mind but it is likely makes no sense for H-I now; and
    > > I do not own H-II myself so cannot work on it. If we are focusing on
    > > H-2/2.5, it would make more sense to make similar modifications to
    > > 7.22 driver set from Agere to avoid overlap with Orinoco.
    > Ok, let me know what you think is the best thing to do, and I'll be glad
    > to help you out with it.

I tend to think that only for USB hardware do we need a new driver, and
    that driver can share some things with both hostap and orinoco. If at
    all possible, lets integrate missing hardware support into _existing_
    drivers instead of importing drivers of questionable quality. I've seen
    wlags49 before and it's not great. Right now we don't have any viable
    Orinoco USB driver, and while linux-wlan-ng was proposed, there's no way
    we're taking a third 802.11 "stack" or the bits in those drivers that
    overlap with existing drivers' hardware support.

Dan