    SubjectRe: disk IO directly from PCI memory to block device sectors
    On Thu, Oct 02 2008, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
    > Hello Jens,
    > On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Jens Axboe <> wrote:
    > > On Mon, Sep 29 2008, Jens Axboe wrote:
    > >> On Fri, Sep 26 2008, Leisner, Martin wrote:
    > >> IMHO, this interface totally rocks. It's really async like splice was
    > >
    > > Alright, so this one actually works :-)
    > > Apart from fixing the bugs in it, it's also more clever in using the bio
    > > for the write part. It'll reuse the same bio in the splice actor until
    > > it's full, only then submitting it and allocating a new one. The read
    > > part works the same way.
    > >
    > I have been following this thread trying to grasp a very nifty use
    > case (high speed acquisition and storage of data) of splice.
    > I think it would make a perfect example of splice functionality.
    > What would the user space part look like to exercise this interface?

    which has lots of little examples for splice. You would want to do
    something ala

    # splice-in /dev/my-pci-device | splice-out /dev/sda

    in one app of course, but take a look at the examples and get a feel for
    the interface...

    BTW, in my splice branch I have this queued as well. Not going anywhere
    for now, but should get updated and tested every now and then.;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/splice

    Jens Axboe

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-10-02 18:35    [W:0.034 / U:50.952 seconds]