SubjectScript to build-in used modules, based on streamline_config.pl
From
Dear List,

Last month, Steven Rostedt posted a script to disable
not-currently-used modules from your .config:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/734536

It works by parsing the kernel Makefiles to build a map from module
names to config settings.

I've made a slightly modified version of this that takes the .config
for an all-modular kernel (e.g. a distribution kernel) and changes the
settings for those modules that are currently loaded so that they will
be built in:

http://chezphil.org/tmp/buildin_used_mods.pl

The aim of this is to provide a semi-automatic method to produce a
custom kernel that has everything needed for your hardware built in, so
you don't need an initrd.

One issue that I encountered is that not every config setting builds a
module and may not be changed. For example, if I need module xyz to
support my IDE disk, then the script will change CONFIG_XYZ from m to
y. However, it won't change CONFIG_IDE from m to y. When I
subsequently make menuconfig, it detects that CONFIG_XYZ=y is
incompatible with CONFIG_IDE=m, but it fixes it in the wrong way; it
changes CONFIG_XYZ back to m, rather than changing CONFIG_IDE to y. Is
there any way to change this?

Someone with better Perl skills than me could probably merge Steven's
original script with my variation with a command-line option to
determine the behaviour. It would be good to something like this merged.

Cheers, Phil.

  Last update: 2008-10-18 18:23    [W:0.037 / U:0.004 seconds]