    SubjectRe: [RFC] Kernel version numbering scheme change
    On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 11:56:04AM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
    > On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 12:55:44AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
    > > On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 09:47:51AM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
    > > > Packages are built in a chroot with the correct release installed.
    > >
    > > Then why would this break if they are being built against the correct,
    > > older, kernel?
    >
    > How could you build userspace "against a kernel"?
    >
    > sys_*uname() returns the version of the running kernel.

    Great, then why does the build system depend on the running kernel?
    Doesn't that sound like a bug?

    > > > No.
    > > >
    > > > In the example I gave it is OpenSSL that parses the version number of
    > > > the kernel.
    > >
    > > The running kernel, with the expectation that this is the kernel it is
    > > going to be running on after it is built, right? Sounds like to ensure
    > > this is correct, you better be building it on the kernel that you are
    > > going to run it on, or its build process is broken.
    >
    > I'm not even sure whether OpenSSL actually does anything with the
    > information: The script comes from the Apache foundation and
    > claims to be "Similar to config.guess but much, much smaller."
    >
    > BTW: Apache 1.3 seems to ship and use the same script.

    Again, depending on the kernel the product is being built on, to
    determine a build-time configuration, seems quite broken if you want to
    do cross-compilation.

    Or you just do native builds, on the kernel you expect to run the
    product, and everyone is happy and there are no errors.

    thanks,

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2008-10-17 20:51    [W:0.027 / U:0.228 seconds]