    SubjectRe: XFS filesystem corruption on the arm(el) architecture
    Martin Michlmayr wrote:
    > * Eric Sandeen <> [2008-10-16 17:13]:
    >> So is this a regression? did it used to work? If so, when? :)
    > The original report was with 2.6.18 but that was with the old ABI:
    > I just installed a 2.6.22 kernel with EABI and I can also trigger
    > the bug. So it's not a (recent) regression.
    >> What's a little odd is that the buffer it dumped out looks like the
    >> beginning of a perfectly valid superblock for your filesystem
    >> (magic, block size, and block count all match). If you printk the
    >> "bno" variable right around line 2106 in xfs_da_btree.c, can you see
    >> what you get?
    > bno is 0.

    Ok, that's a little odd. (correlates with the "bad" magic that was
    seen, because block 0 is the superblock, but doesn't make sense because
    we were trying to read a directory leaf block, in theory)

    If you unmount & remount, does the ls work then?

    >> creating an xfs_metadump of the filesystem for examination on a
    >> non-arm box might also be interesting.
    > (11 MB)

    xfs_repair on x86 shows no errors; however it won't mount normally (bad
    log clientid) - but mount -o norecovery,ro and subsequent ls works fine
    (at first I thought filenames were badly scrambled but then remembered
    that xfs_metadump does this by default ;))

    The remaining problem that I know of on some arm architectures is a vmap
    cache aliasing problem that usually shows up as log corruption; that may
    explain the bad clientid thing but not sure why we're reading block 0 above.

    Do you know what cachepolicy you're booted with? If it's writeallocate,
    you might try cachepolicy=writeback, otherwise try cachepolicy=uncached
    (which will be horribly slow) and see if the problem goes away or not;
    it'd be a clue.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-10-17 16:19    [W:0.030 / U:1.212 seconds]