SubjectRe: [RFC] Kernel version numbering scheme change
On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, el es wrote:

> H. Peter Anvin <hpa <at> zytor.com> writes:
>> el es wrote:
> [snip]
>>> - informative : the ww and tt numbers are the week numbers of when the actual
>>>
>>> release HAPPENED, not when it is predicted.
>>>

>> Which really sucks for dealing with future releases.
>>

> Why ?
> What do you mean by 'future releases' ?
> Can you predict exactly when the next release will happen ? The current practice
> of -rcX shows clearly you cannot.

that's the point

> Moreover, with my idea you could easily say, which stable release is still
> supported (and how old its mainline really was) up to the week, which IMHO is
> granular enough.

huh?? kernels are not supported for X amount of time, so this isn't
relevant information for support. kernels are 'supported' until some time
after the next kernel is released.

> Also you could for sure say, that e.g. a device/software that hit market in say
> December this year, will be compatible with e.g. 2.09.XX+ - look at users POV.

no you can't, the fact that a kernel was released in December and the
product was released in November tells you nothing about the probability
that that hardware is supported by that kernel.

you can't even say that a kernel released in 2009 supports hardware
released in 2007.

David Lang