    SubjectRe: [RFC] Kernel version numbering scheme change
    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008, Greg KH wrote:
    > You brought this topic up a few months ago, and passed it off as
    > something we would discuss at the kernel summit. But that never
    > happened, so I figured I'd bring it up again here.
    > So, as someone who constantly is dealing with kernel version numbers all
    > the time with the -stable trees, our current numbering scheme is a pain
    > a times. How about this proposal instead?

    > Any thoughts?
    > Let the bike-shedding begin!

    What about just using the git SHA1?

    - We're all getting older. Training our memory to remember SHA1 IDs is
    actually good for us!
    - Perhaps Google will finally start tracking git commits, so I can
    feed them a git commit ID mentioned in a random email and find the
    actual commit, without having to know to which repository it

    -- Linus Torvalds

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-10-16 17:21    [W:0.028 / U:22.568 seconds]