    SubjectRe: is the weeks before -rc1 the time to really be working on -next?
    On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 10:04:17PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008, Greg KH wrote:
    > > Just wondering, I know that -next is failing right now, and is a major
    > > pain to produce, but that seems to be primarily due to all of the
    > > subsystems merging with Linus right now.
    > >
    > > So does it even make sense to try to create a -next during the 2 weeks
    > > of the major merge window? It seems to just cause you a whole lot of
    > > work, that in the end, is mostly unecessary as all of the subsystem
    > > maintainers are doing the merging themselves as trees move into Linus's
    > > tree?
    >
    > I don't know if it's worth the effort...
    >
    > However, we definitely missed linux-next during the last few weeks, seeing
    > things getting into mainline that don't even survive simple compile tests.

    Oh I agree, I missed it a lot the past few weeks, it's amazing how much
    we already started to rely on it in such a short time. That shows how
    valuable the effort is.

    Keep it up, I just don't want to see Stephen burn out during the pre-rc1
    time period when it might not make as much sense to be trying to create
    the tree.

    thanks,

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2008-10-15 22:37    [W:0.021 / U:32.224 seconds]