    SubjectRe: GPL question: using large contiguous memory in proprietary driver.
    On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Chris Friesen <> wrote:
    > Kaz Kylheku wrote:
    >> I have the following question. Suppose that some proprietary driver
    >> (otherwise completely clean, based only on non-GPL symbols)
    > The fact that it's not using GPL symbols does not actually mean that the
    > driver is not a derivative work of the kernel (and thus subject to the GPL).

    But thanks to the gracious tolerance of the kernel development
    community, such drivers are permitted to exist. That is the question:
    setting aside GPL chapter and verse, could that tolerance extend
    to allow such a driver to get a piece of boot-time memory, and if so,
    what mechanism would be tolerated?

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-10-15 01:25    [W:0.021 / U:1.480 seconds]