    SubjectRe: pktcdvd -> sysfs warning with 2.6.27
    Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@vrfy.org> writes:

    > On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 10:38 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:

    >> > It's not about random grabbing. It's about getting a dynamically
    >> > assigned number. The pktcdvd driver once had static numbers, but at
    >> > the time when the driver was merged into the mainline kernel, dynamic
    >> > numbers were considered better. Therefore I changed the driver to use
    >> > dynamic numbers.
    >>
    >> The pktcdvd driver allocates a dynamic block major, which is fine. But
    >> doesn't it use the same number, and now not allocated, for the char
    >> devices it uses? That looks like something that needs to fixed, right?
    >>
    >> static void pkt_sysfs_dev_new(struct pktcdvd_device *pd)
    >> {
    >> if (class_pktcdvd) {
    >> pd->dev = device_create_drvdata(class_pktcdvd, NULL,
    >> pd->pkt_dev, NULL,
    >> "%s", pd->name);
    >
    > Something similar to this, with error checking, might be needed. It has
    > two independent majors now in block and char:
    > $ grep pkt /proc/devices
    > 251 pktcdvd-char
    > 252 pktcdvd

    Maybe, but that character device would not be used for anything,
    besides creating sub-directories in /sys/class/pktcdvd. The driver
    implements a block device, not a character device.

    Is it possible to create a custom directory in sysfs corresponding to
    a block device? A directory /sys/block/pktcdvd0 is apparently created
    automatically, but is it possible to extend that directory with driver
    specific data?

    --
    Peter Osterlund - petero2@telia.com
    http://web.telia.com/~u89404340

      Last update: 2008-10-14 23:07    [W:0.035 / U:95.632 seconds]