SubjectRe: XFS filesystem corruption on the arm(el) architecture
Dave Chinner wrote:
> Adding to the cc list so all the XFS folk see this.
> On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 10:38:22PM +0200, Tobias Frost wrote:
>> (Note: Please CC me, as I am NOT on the lkml!!)
>> Some time ago, I discovered some problems with xfs. Unfortunatly, I had
>> no time diving into it. However, some weeks ago some other people
>> running debian on ARM machines confirmed the problem on their machines
>> starting at [1], so I think it is appropitate to at least report it.
>> It has also been seen on 2.6.27-rc4 [2].
>> summary: the xfs partition corrupts almost immediatly after creation. I
>> had the impression, that the first unlink (rm) causes the corruption,
>> but this might be just an impression.
>> During the tests I made, I conserved a image of the corrupted filesystem
>> which I can make available on request (it's 26 Mbyte, gzipped).
>> Please let me know how I can assist you in finding the problem.
>> [1]
>> [2]
>> Best regards,
>> Tobias Frost
>> PS: Thank you for your great work!

Ok, actually: first - sorry for the scattershot replies. I thought
userspace was updated earlier, but:

xfsprogs-2.10.1 (5 September 2008)...
- Add packed on-disk shortform directory for ARM's old ABI, thanks to
Eric Sandeen.

and the original kernel change:

[XFS] Pack some shortform dir2 structures for the ARM old ABI
Note that userspace needs a similar treatment, and any filesystems which
were running with the previous rogue "fix" will now see corruption

So perhaps as a first easy test, can you please re-test with
xfsprogs-2.10.1 or newer.