SubjectRe: [RFC] CPUID usage for interaction between Hypervisors and Linux.
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
>>
>> No, we're not getting anywhere. This is an outright broken idea.
>> The space is too small to be able to chop up in this way, and the
>> number of vendors too large to be able to do it without having a
>> central oversight.
>>

> I suspect we can get a larger number space if we ask Intel & AMD. In
> fact, I think we should request that the entire 0x40xxxxxx numberspace
> is assigned to virtualization *anyway*.

Yes, that would be good. In that case I'd revise my proposal to back
each leaf block 256 leaves instead of 16. But it still needs to be a
proper enumeration with signatures, rather than assigning fixed points
in that space to specific interfaces.

  Last update: 2008-10-01 20:15    [W:0.133 / U:0.056 seconds]