    SubjectRe: SMACK netfilter smacklabel socket match
    Casey Schaufler wrote:
    > Tilman Baumann wrote:
    >> Casey Schaufler wrote:
    >>> Smack will eventually bite you if you're not careful, but users of
    >>> MAC systems wouldn't be surprised by that.
    >> Speaking of the devil...
    >> This is exactly what happened to me right now. I have problems with
    >> _some_ https connects. The problem lies somewhere in openssl.
    >> I did not yet find any clue with strace.
    >> Is there some straight forward way to audit/debug LSM interventions?
    > strace is probably your best bet, as it will tell you what syscalls
    > fail. Your current situation is most likely a case where your program
    > running with a label "Foo" is trying to communicate with a service on
    > a machine that doesn't talk CIPSO and hence Smack is treating all
    > packets to and from that host with the ambient (%cat /smack/ambient)
    > label, which is "_" unless you've changed it.

    Yea, I just found that out.
    I did not expect smack to add netlabels by default. I thought I would
    need to configure something before it will start adding netlabels 'on
    the wire'.
    In my case 'security' is something that should only concern the local
    Unfortunately I never bothered to test this before. :-/

    If I set /smack/nltype to 'unlabeled' I have effectively shut off the
    I guess I'm missing some essential point here.
    Sorry to bother you with such trivialities.

    btw. I find it very hard to find informations on the various files in
    /smack/ and it's respective intention and formating rules.
    security/smack/smackfs.c helps a bit.

    This is my current setup:
    /smack/ambient (default)
    /smack/load = _ foo rwx
    Unlabeled process work fine.
    Labeled processes produce CIPSO labeled packets (which never get any
    answer anywhere from the internet)

    If i set /smack/nltype to 'unlabled' i don't even get SYN packets out.
    (operation not permitted)

    Tilman Baumann
    Software Developer
    Collax GmbH . Boetzinger Strasse 60 . 79111 Freiburg . Germany

    p: +49 (0) 89-990157-0
    f: +49 (0) 89-990157-11

    Geschaeftsfuehrer: William K. Hite / Boris Nalbach
    AG Muenchen HRB 158898, Ust.-IdNr: DE 814464942

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-10-01 18:59    [W:0.026 / U:12.252 seconds]