SubjectRe: [patch 7/9] unprivileged mounts: allow unprivileged fuse mounts
> > > 'updatedb no longer works' is not a problem?
> >
> > I haven't seen any problems with updatedb, and haven't had any bug
> > reports about it either.
>
> Ok, I don't know much about FUSE. In current version, if user creates
> infinite maze and mounts it under ~, updatedb just does not enter it?

It doesn't. See Documentation/filesystems/fuse.txt

> > AFAIR there were two security vulnerabilities in fuse's history, one
> > of them an information leak in the kernel module, and the other one an
> > mtab corruption issue in the fusermount utility. I don't think this
> > is such a bad track record.
>
> Not bad indeed. But I'd consider 'kill -9 not working' to be DoS
> vulnerability...

The worst that can happen is that a sysadmin doesn't read the docs
(likely) before enabling fuse on a multiuser system, and is surprised
by a user doing funny things. And _then_ has to go read the docs, or
google for some info. This is basically how things normally work, and
I don't consider it a DoS.

> and I'm woried about problems fuse + user mounts expose in other
> parts of system.

I'm worried too, and I'm not saying that enabling unprivileged fuse
mounts is completely risk free. Nothing is, and nobody is forced to
do it.

Miklos

  Last update: 2008-01-09 10:15    [W:0.115 / U:0.628 seconds]