    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] remove smbfs

    On Jan 30 2008 19:23, Steve French wrote:
    >> On Jan 30 2008 12:53, Steve French wrote:
    >> >I have mounted to Windows98 a few months ago with no problems (other
    >> >than a few restrictions like you can't set the file times via utimes).
    >> > For mounts to Windows98 note that you have to specify the server
    >> >netbios name on the mount (since it is not the same as the DNS name).
    >> >In your example your would need to specify "servernetbiosname=WIN98"
    >> >in the mount options (until mount.cifs autoretries with
    >> >servernetbiosname assumed to be the beginning of the UNC name - note
    >> >that later servers have a dummy netbios name that is used so this
    >> >mount option is only needed for OS/2 and Win9x).
    >> Ok that works. I had tried "netbiosname" but not "servernetbiosname"
    >> (only fuzzy memories from the last win98 encounter and the suggestion
    >> to use netbiossomething).
    >> I think servernetbiosname should implicitly be assumed to be the
    >> same as the //hostpart/ when it's not explicitly specified, no?
    >Unfortunately, it is not quite that easy since there is a default
    >"dummy" netbiosname that you are supposed to specify.
    >There is retry which can be tried. When the server does not listen on
    >port 445 and mount fails to *SMBSERVER on port 139 (and retry using
    >the uppercased tcp name as the netbios name fails) - we can try to do
    >an "adapter status" rfc1001 call to the ip address of the target and
    >pick the first netbiosname (or at least the first one that ends with
    >the server suffix - ie a byte of 0x20 for byte 16 of the netbios
    >name). This complicates the mount.cifs helpers retry logic and
    >adding rfc1001 adapter status code into the kernel also would be a few
    >hundred lines of kernel code for little benefit if any for current
    >servers, but it could be done. Simply adding the one retry (for
    >failed mounts using servernetbiosname=<target-host-name> would
    >probably take care of most cases.
    Yes, that is what I'd like, the simple retry with the servernetbiosname
    taken from //foo/. Querying adapter and all that seems unnecessary since
    if I say //foo/, I really mean servernetbiosname=foo,ip=<resolve foo>
    not servernetbiosname=bar,ip=<resolve foo>.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-01-31 12:21    [W:0.024 / U:35.984 seconds]