    SubjectRe: ptrace API extensions for BTS
    Markus,

    I looked at your code. My understanding is that it abstracts the BTS
    so that higher
    level code does not have to know the intricacies of the implementation
    especially
    given that the changed the DS_AREA structure a lot between P4 and Core 2.

    The code does not cover PEBS though. In the case of perfmon, the ra PEBS data
    is exposed to user-level. This way we ensure zero-copy all the way to
    the application.
    Of course, that means applications needs to know whether they are using P4 PEBS
    or Core PEBS, but that's fine.

    I noticed that your code does not support 64-bit Netburst DS_AREA configuration.
    I have used that myself and it works. Also Penryn support is missing
    (Fam 6 model 23).

    The code does not actually touch the HW resource. This needs to be
    added somehow.
    It must be part of a register allocator outside of ds.c. We could
    extend the simple
    allocator currently used for the PMU registers in perfctr-watchdog.c.
    In fact, that one
    would have to be generalized.

    Perfmon does read/write the DS_AREA pointer and content. PEBS is supported in
    per-thread and system-wide mode. This means that we save/restore DS_AREA pointer
    on ctxsw. Perfmon does not touch the BTS specific fields, just the PEBS relevant
    fields. PEBS does generate interrupts and they are routed via the PMU interrupt.

    Internally perfmon2 needs to access the internals of the ds_area to
    fiddle with the
    pebs_index/pebs_intr_thres. Some of that code is in the perfmon core and not in
    the model specific (P4 vs. Core) kernel module. On Core2, I think I could get
    rid of this dependency but not on P4. I could use your code to abstract the DS
    area and give me access to the pebs fields in a more generic way. that assumes
    you would add PEBS support to ds.c.

    What do you think?

    Thanks.

    On Jan 30, 2008 1:52 PM, Metzger, Markus T <markus.t.metzger@intel.com> wrote:
> [...]

      Last update: 2008-01-31 12:19    [W:0.044 / U:0.080 seconds]