SubjectRe: [RFC v2 0/5] dmaengine: Slave DMA interface and example users
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 22:56:14 -0800
David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 29 January 2008, Haavard Skinnemoen wrote:
> >
> > Btw, there's one issue I forgot to mention: I believe the DMA Engine
> > framework is currently misusing the DMA mapping API, and this patchset
> > makes things worse.
> >
> > Currently, the async_tx bits of the API do the required calls to
> > dma_map_single() and/or dma_map_page(), but they rely on the driver to
> > do the unmapping. This is problematic ...
> >
> > How do we solve this?
>
> How about: for peripheral DMA, don't let the engine see anything
> except dma_addr_t values.

I don't think it does, but the dma_addr_t value is enough to call
dma_unmap_single() and dma_unmap_page().

> The engine needs to be able to dma_alloc_coherent() memory too,
> which is pre-mapped.

Right, which is another argument for not doing any unmapping in the DMA
engine driver. We really need to push this responsibility to the client.

Haavard