    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] remove smbfs
    On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 02:47:17AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
    > > smbfs has the unfortunate quality of momentum. A lot of users aren't
    > > aware of CIFS at all since smbfs basically does what they need it to
    > > do. Some extra warning for those users would be nice.

    > And many users will start whining loudly that the not deprecated driver
    > (in this case cifs) has this or that bug not before the patch to finally
    > remove the deprecated feature got applied or at least posted.

    > And will demand that it therefore does not get removed.

    We've had about 3 of these in Debian since deciding to cut it from the
    upcoming release. (The kicker for us was the samba security update that
    wasn't tested with smbfs as a client.) The key regressions of interest
    relative to smbfs seem to be:

    - lack of DFS support
    - lack of netbios name resolution for UNC share names

    The former seems to be a kernel issue whose resolution is in progress, and I
    think the latter would have to be addressed in the userspace mount tools?

    Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
    slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org

      Last update: 2008-01-31 02:45    [W:0.034 / U:271.952 seconds]