    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] remove smbfs
    Am Mittwoch, 30. Januar 2008 schrieb Steve French:
    > I have mounted to Windows98 a few months ago with no problems (other
    > than a few restrictions like you can't set the file times via utimes).
    > For mounts to Windows98 note that you have to specify the server
    > netbios name on the mount (since it is not the same as the DNS name).
    > In your example your would need to specify "servernetbiosname=WIN98"
    > in the mount options (until mount.cifs autoretries with
    > servernetbiosname assumed to be the beginning of the UNC name - note
    > that later servers have a dummy netbios name that is used so this
    > mount option is only needed for OS/2 and Win9x).
    > I will try mounts to Windows98 again.

    being not able to set the file times via utimes is a _major_
    missing feature in cifs, so

    cp -p /client/file /server

    does not work regarding servers like win9x/me and os/2.
    The source time stamps are not transfered to the server!
    The current local time on the server is set instead for
    all time stamps.
    The reason is a missing implementation of legacy versions of

    I had that already working months ago, but it never made it
    upstream ...

    Possibly we could give it a 2nd try?

    Cheers, Günter

      Last update: 2008-01-30 21:57    [W:0.019 / U:20.600 seconds]