SubjectRe: ndiswrapper and GPL-only symbols redux
On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 04:24:50AM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Pavel Roskin <proski@gnu.org> writes:
> >
> > static inline void add_taint_module(struct module *mod, unsigned flag)
> > {
> > add_taint(flag);
> > mod->taints |= flag;
> > }
> >
> > The module taint is set before the symbols are resolved. Therefore, the
> > GPL-only symbols won't be resolved.
>
> I think using a separate taint flag that does not disable GPL symbols
> for the ndiswrapper case would be a fair solution. After all the main
> motivation for tainting ndiswrapper is to make it visible in oopses, but not
> prevent it from loading in the first place.
>
> How about you submit an incremental patch to do that?

I'll happily submit a patch to do whateve is wanted, and add comments
(I'm also debugging seveal module issues right now, so I have a
good opportunity to look over some of the code).

But do we want to:

*). Add a new taint?
*). Move it later?

It's all trivial, but a policy should be established for the future.

Jon.

  Last update: 2008-01-30 06:09    [W:0.072 / U:0.996 seconds]