SubjectRe: [patch 2/6] mmu_notifier: Callbacks to invalidate address ranges
On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 02:37:20PM +0100, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 06:28:05PM -0600, Jack Steiner wrote:

> > > That is true for your implementation and to address Robin's issues. Jack:
> > > Is that true for the GRU?
> >
> > I'm not sure I understand the question. The GRU never (currently) takes
> > a reference on a page. It has no mechanism for tracking pages that
> > were exported to the external TLBs.
>
> If you don't have a pin, then things like invalidate_range in
> remap_file_pages can't be safe as writes through the external TLBs can
> keep going on pages in the freelist. For you to be safe w/o a
> page-pin, you need to return in the direction of invalidate_page
> inside ptep_clear_flush (or anyway before
> page_cache_release/__free_page/put_page...). You're generally not safe
> with any invalidate_range that may run after the page pointed by the
> pte has been freed (or can be freed by the VM anytime because of being
> unpinned cache).

Yuck....
I see what you mean. I need to review to mail to see why this changed
but in the original discussions with Christoph, the invalidate_range
callouts were suppose to be made BEFORE the pages were put on the freelist.

--- jack

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans