    SubjectRe: ndiswrapper and GPL-only symbols redux
    Jon Masters wrote:

    > I wouldn't quite say that. I wasn't going to comment, but...personally,
    > I actually disagree with the assertions that ndiswrapper isn't causing
    > proprietary code to link against GPL functions in the kernel (how is
    > an NDIS implementation any different than a shim layer provided to
    > load a graphics driver?), but I wasn't trying to make that point.

    Well, as long as *any* part of the kernel ever links to proprietary
    code, then GPL functions link to it in exactly the same way ndiswrapper
    enables. It's only a matter of how many steps of separation.

    A perfectly GPL USB network driver linked to GPL-only functions feeds
    data into the kernel where it swirls about and emerges from a
    proprietary network filesystem driver, for example.

      Last update: 2008-01-30 06:43    [W:0.018 / U:180.424 seconds]