SubjectRe: [patch 00/19] VM pageout scalability improvements
On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 12:13:32 -0500
Lee Schermerhorn <Lee.Schermerhorn@hp.com> wrote:

> Yes, but the problem, when it occurs, is very awkward. The system just
> hangs for hours/days spinning on the reverse mapping locks--in both
> page_referenced() and try_to_unmap(). No pages get reclaimed and NO OOM
> kill occurs because we never get that far. So, I'm not sure I'd call
> any OOM kills resulting from this patch as "false". The memory is
> effectively nonreclaimable. Now, I think that your anon pages SEQ
> patch will eliminate the contention in page_referenced[_anon](), but we
> could still hang in try_to_unmap().

I am hoping that Nick's ticket spinlocks will fix this problem.

Would you happen to have any test cases for the above problem that
I could use to reproduce the problem and look for an automatic fix?

Any fix that requires the sysadmin to tune things _just_ right seems
too dangerous to me - especially if a change in the workload can
result in the system doing exactly the wrong thing...

The idea is valid, but it just has to work automagically.

Btw, if page_referenced() is called less, the locks that try_to_unmap()
also takes should get less contention.

--
All Rights Reversed

  Last update: 2008-01-03 23:03    [W:0.084 / U:0.048 seconds]